[...]
If you don't want LDAP you have to use the "smbpasswd" way.

(and LDAP leads to other problems ...)

Also, the same users have their home directories shared via AFP
(which works fine) and I can't complicate the setup with an
additional smbpasswd file.

How and where does AFP manage the authentification for Windows clients?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut
Yeah, FWIW, I just setup LDAP on Slackware-12.0, and it's a bear to build it from source. Depending on what libraries you require, of course. I took the "kitchen sink" approach and I think I ended up chasing about a dozen libraries for dependencies. My only advice if you decide to go this route is to use Slackware's makepkg utility as you compile sources and keep all the packages in subversion or some other form of revision control. Also, the default Samba add machine script needs to be modified slightly, IIRC. That being said, it's very doable if you have patience and a Starbucks near by. Also, a hard copy of John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij's "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" as well as Jerry Carter's "LDAP System Administration" are worth their weight in gold for such an undertaking.