The one product to one site approach is something that bothers me too.

I was going to attempt a different approach by settings up a global
store and having and product that belongs to the global store be
visible across all sites (using some heavy template tags).  I haven't
had the chance to test this with products but I did it with categories
and wrote a template tag to list the global categories.  Not sure how
well it is going to translate to products or what sort of impact it
would have at this point, but if we ever get around to implementing it
(the client has had some budget issues) I'll be writing up my
experience with this attempt.

Unless of course the issue goes away between now and then...

http://www.sudovi.com/
http://www.twitter.com/lifewithryan
http://www.thecommontongue.com
http://www.lifewithryan.com/