Greenarrow 1 wrote:
>But, the problem I see with this survey is they only polled 1,000 out of
>what over 5 million users in the USofA.
Political pollsters regularly sample 1000 Americans to get a prediction
of 100,000 voters that is accurate to 5% or so. 1000 people should be
sufficient to sample software users, unless there is something else
wrong with the sample or the questions.

>  Just randomly suppose they
>accidently picked everyone that
>has superb software and hardware on their systems (unlikely but probable).

Just what does "unlikely but probable" mean?

To "suppose" this, we have to think there is something wrong with the
sample or the questions. What is it you think is wrong with the sample
or the questions? Or is it just that you find the result to be improbable?

>On repairing systems for my customers I say 1 of of 20 are only satisfied
>with their programs so who is right Harris Poll or my customers?
No *there* is a skewed sample; the set of people currently experiencing
a problem so severe that they have to call in a professioal to repair
it. Under just about any circumstance, I would expect this group to be
highly unsatisfied with vendors. It's like taking a survey of auto
quality in the waiting room of a garage.

What really mystifies me is the anlogy to fire insurance. *Everyone*
keeps their fire insurance up to date, it costs money, and it protects
against a very rare event that most fire insurance customers have never
experienced. What is it that makes consumers exercise prudent good sense
for fire insurance, but not in selecting software?

The only factor I can think of is that mortgage carriers insist that
their customers maintain fire insurance. No fire insurance, no loan, and
most people cannot afford to pay cash for their home. So to impose a
"prudence" requirement on software consumers, perhaps some outside force
has to impose a "pay to play" requirement on them. Who could that be?

IPSs, perhaps? Similar to mortgage companys, ISPs pay a lot of the cost
of consumer software insecurity: vulnerable software leads to virus
epidemics, and to botnets of spam relays. Perhaps if ISPs recognized the
cost of consumer insecurity on their operations, they might start
imposing minimum standards on consumer connections, and cutting them off
if they fall below that standard. Larry Seltzer has advocated a form of
this, that ISPs should block port 25 for consumer broadband in most
cases http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1784276,00.asp There are
several other actions that ISPs could take:

    * egress filtering on all outbound connections to block source IP
      spoofing
    * deploy NIPS on outbound traffic and disconnect customers who are
      emitting attacks
    * require customers to have some kind of personal firewall or host
      intrusion prevention

The catch: the above moves are all costly and, to some degree,
anti-competitive, in that they make the consumer's Internet connection
less convenient. So to be successful, ISPs would have to position these
moves as a "security enhancement" for the consumer, which AOL is doing
with bundled antivirus service as advertised on TV. ISPs could also
position a non-restricted account as an "expert" account and charge
extra for it.

Crispin
--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/