Gary,

Interesting article. May I ask, why get started with only one of these
approaches? Since 1-3 effects different parts of the organization
(portfolio risk seems like a biz-management approach, top-down framework
seems to effect software development management, and training effects
developers, primarily) - why not *start* an initiative on all levels? In
fact, doesn't it really take all of the above to truly effect permanent
change in an organization?

4) Makes me nervous. I worry if you just toss a very expensive static
code analysis or app scanning tool at development staff, you only
provide a false sense of security since the coverage of even the best
application security tools is very limited. Doesn't it take rather
in-depth developer training and awareness for a tool to be truly useful?

- Jim
> hi sc-l,
>
> One of the biggest hurdles facing software security is the problem of how to
> get started, especially when faced with an enterprise-level challenge.  My
> first darkreading column for 2008 is about how to get started in software
> security.  In the article, I describe four approaches:
> 1. the top-down framework;
> 2. portfolio risk;
> 3. training first; and
> 4. leading with a tool.
>
> We've tried them all with some success at different Cigital customers.
>
> Are there other ways to get started that have worked for you?
>
> By the way, I can use your help.  Darkreading is beginning to track reaction
> to topics more carefully than in the past.  You can help make software
> security more prominent by reading the article and passing the URL on to
> others you may find interested.  Another thing that helps is posting to the
> message boards.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Here's to even more widespread software security in 2008!
>
> gem
>
> company www.cigital.com
> podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
> blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague
> book www.swsec.com

> as a free, non-commercial service to the software security community.

Best Regards,
Jim Manico
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
808.652.3805 (c)