At 3:12 PM -0400 5/1/08, Leichter, Jerry wrote:

> The VAX VMM effort died with the announcement of the Alpha, in late 1992
> - though obviously the death was decided internally once the move to
> Alpha was decided, which would have been somewhat earlier.  The origins
> of the VAX VMM effort date back to the early 80's.

My understanding is that DEC pulled the plug on the VMM project
(called SVS) during a successful field test when they discovered
that while the NSA division that handled trusted computing was
really gung ho about the project, none of the government units
which might actually make purchases were interested in multilevel
secure machines.  Remember that the MicroVAX II was available at
the time and from many perspectives (including that of taxpayers)
it was a lot nicer to use separate machines for various security
classifications.
--
Larry Kilgallen