Hi Andy,

Great post. I especially like the part about making choices. Having
users type passwords into websites that "protect" all their assets
pretty clearly isn't working. Cardspace is pretty clearly a massive
improvement. That said, I don't think the choice is between perfect
liberty and perfect security, but more what Dan Geer suggested:

"We digerati have given the world fast, free, open transmission to
anyone from anyone, and we've handed them a general-purpose device with
so many layers of complexity that there is no one who understands it
all. Because “you're on your own” won't fly politically, something has
to change. Since you don't have to block transmission in order to
surveil it, and since general-purpose capabilities in computers are lost
on the vast majority of those who use them, the beneficiaries of
protection will likely consider surveillance and appliances to be an
improvement over risk and complexity. From where they sit, this is true
and normal.

While the readers of Queue may well appreciate that driving is much more
real with a centrifugal advance and a stick shift, try and sell that to
the mass market. The general-purpose computer must die or we must put
everything under surveillance. Either option is ugly, but “all of the
above” would be lights-out for people like me, people like you, people
like us. We're playing for keeps now."

http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=436

I hope that cheers everyone up.

-gp