Two quick comments in catching up on the thread...

First, security in the software development concept is at least an
intermediate concept, if not advanced. Riffing on Brad's comments, it
seems irrational to think that you can jump straight from structural
basics with which many students struggle (OO anybody?) directly to
concepts that bridge computer architecture, code structure, and various
other problems.

Second, as long as "the right way" is not the same as "the easy way"
then there will always be a disconnect. Perhaps this means that the
language itself needs to require strong type checking that enforce
appropriate secure coding behavior? Or maybe this is even enforced at
the compiler level? (there have, of course, been problems with
compilers, too, particularly in optimization mode)

cheers,

-ben

--
Benjamin Tomhave, MS, CISSP
fal...@secureconsulting.net

[ Random Quote: ]
Moore's Law: "The number of transistors on an integrated circuit will
double in about 18 months."
http://globalnerdy.com/2007/07/18/laws-of-software-development/