Greetings,

I was listening yesterday to an interview [1] on NPR with Dr. Atul
Gawande, author of "Checklist Manifesto" [2].  He describes the
problem that medical procedures (e.g., surgery) tend to have lots of
mistakes, mostly caused because of leaving out important steps.  He
claims that 2/3 of medical - or maybe surgical - errors can be avoided
by use of checklists.  Checklists aren't very popular among doctors,
because they don't like to see themselves as factory workers following
a procedure, because the human body is extremely complex, and because
every patient is unique.

So as I was listening, I was thinking that many of the same things
could be said about software developers and problems with software
security - every piece of software is unique, any non-trivial piece of
software is amazingly complex, developers tend to consider themselves
as artists creating unique works, etc.

Has anyone looked into the parallelisms before?  If so, I'd be
interested in chatting (probably offlist) about your thoughts.

--Jeremy

[1] Listen to the interview at http://wamu.org/programs/dr/10/01/06.php#29280
[2] "The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right", Atul Gawande,
Metropolitan Books.