John,

Do you think we will reach a point where toolkits/frameworks will become so powerful that a developer will no longer require application security knowledge? I say no. Not now, not in 10 or 20 years. I encourage you to read my notes again. My comment was:

You need something like OWASP ESAPI to make a secure app even remotely possible

I think secure frameworks with built-in developer controls fits that very general statement, even though you clearly disagree.

I'm trying to get to a deeper issue here. I feel we need to empower developers with knowledge and the right APIs, and this thread includes my opinion that Java 6EE does little to move us in that direction. Of course, lower risk apps can sometimes tollerate less assurance. Of course legacy apps are much more difficult to secure. Ramming ESAPI into an existing app is often non-trivial, especially since we are still a young project and indeed need more documentation. In fact, ESAPI is no AppSec Jesus. I tried to make that clear below:

An ESAPI is no silver bullet, there is no such thing as that in
AppSec. But it will help build secure apps.

Adressing you other point, I've used regular expression multi-file- search-and-replace tricks across many million LOC applications to help lock down certain vulnerability classes, especially XSS. It's still a non trivial technique and requires significant regression testing, but it is possible in some cases for some security areas.

Last, if we make frameworks overly secure, we start to limit capabilities and innovation. We need to give developers some rope - and if they get some AppSec training and 50 or so functions specific to security controls - they might not hang themselves! :)

And this is not just a wild idea, I'm lucky to witness some of the largest institutions on the planet sucessfully implement ESAPI in the real world.

And sure, you can build a new secure app without an ESAPI. But libs like OWASP ESAPI will get you there faster and cheaper.

- Manico