Keyboard Cowboy,

Education is always a good thing. I think kids should have the opportunity
to learn both sides of software security. Great suggestion.

Kids, by nature, are drawn to things that are taboo and demonized. Which
hacking no doubt falls into, and according to Daniel, also Angelina Jolie.

We can find great analogies to the "hacker kids problem" in recent studies
done on teenage behaviors:

The Bible Belt, particularly evangelicals in the south, have the highest
rates of teen sex and pregnancy in the US. Telling kids to "abstain" clearly
doesn't work as well as teaching them how things work, and in particular
careful education surrounding the use of safety devices. To the exact point
you made in your blog.

We see the exact same statistics surrounding firearm safety and education
(in the US, again). Children (and adults) exposed to firearm safety and
education rarely fall into firearm-accident statistics. Studies indicate
that it is the kids we hide things from, that want to pull the trigger to
see what happens when they discover the [taboo].

In locations where children have open and honest instruction, and are
provided with viable outlets for their firearms (say, condoms) we find
discharge accident rates to be lower per-capita. Again - the same point your
blog post was making.

---

The Bad Peoples:

None of this does anything to solve the "Bad People" hacking problem. That
solution requires Guns or Religion, which is far off topic for this list.

As Daniel pointed out - there's also a huge problem in webappsec with *poor
people*. So, I think Daniel has some ideas for dealing with them too, but I,
the reader, am not sure I understand what he is suggesting. When he comes
back through the door maybe we'll learn more.

Definitely an exciting subject!

---
Arian Evans
Solipsistic Software Security Sophist