hi kevin,

I completely agree that bugs and flaws exist as two categories (with a
slippery slope between them) outside of security.  It is important that we
focus on both kinds of defect since the narrative in software security has
mostly been about the bug parade. (See Getting Past the Bug Parade
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1248057> (September 17,
2008)).

In my experience, there seem to be three kinds of categories that flaws
tend to clump into:
* flaws on "the list" (see STRIDE...or your own list of historical flaws)
ex. attacker-in-the-middle attacks
* ambiguities in the specs (here I agree with your assessment of #2)...I
think that errors of omission go here FWIW
* problems with dependencies (lots more of these in Framework-land than
there used to be)

Requirements would be nice.  Sadly, not enough software products actually
use requirements even though the people in Pittsburgh would like us to
pretend that they do.  (Your mileage may vary, etc.)

gem