From: brunn...@informatik.uni-hamburg.de [brunn...@informatik.uni-hamburg.de]
Sent: 13 May 2012 04:17
To: sc-l@securecoding.org
Cc: Goertzel, Karen [USA]; Peter G. Neumann; Gary McGraw
Subject: Re (badware vs. "goodware"): [SC-L] SearchSecurity: Badware versus
malware

Karen, whereas "flaws and defects" can hardly be argued to have possibly
some "good" affects, there have been many controversial arguments whether
some "malware" (aka viruses) may have "beneficial" effects and may
therefore be regarded as sort of "goodware". Indeed, I vividly remember a
controversial debate with Fred Cohen at a MITI-invited conference in
Tokyo (in the 1990s) whether viruses may be used for beneficial purposes
(e.g. implanting automagically some security measures). My counter
argument that good intentions of authors must be explicitly communicated
to users (aka "usees" as their system is used without their knowledge
and agreement) was not shared by the esteemed colleague, and I also
remember controversial discussions at our lab (VTC of Hamburg university)
with Vesselin Bontchev about aspects of "good viruses" :-)

My 2 cents: nobody will (hopefully) doubt that "badware" is bad, whereas
some may regard some "badware" to have "good" (aka beneficial) effects.

Best wishes: Klaus (May 13, 2012)