Subject: Linus in schools collaboration
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:49:15 +0000
From: "Daryl Martyris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Prateek,

I am involved with the GSCP on the management side. Our Linux Guru Tom has
already been in touch with your list sharing info on our Linux distribution,
but I wanted to ask if we could collaborate more closely on identifying
Linux educational software titles. I understand Leo is working on that in
Delhi. Could he share his findings?

As Tom has said he is going teacher by teacher right for on basic Linux
teaching, and I think that this is a good solution for now, since group
sessions still leave something lacking in terms of teacher confidence, but I
think his work could be enriched by our mapping the curriculum to the
software and then demo-ing to teachers (both the computer and subject
teacher).

Could you ask Leo to get in touch with me and Tom on this please?

Tom,
This approach to integrating the curriculum and computers has already been
developed by us in Goa with regard to software called worldwatcher. But
since its windows based, we have to start all over again for Linux. Also we
should focus on software that is available  with both Windows and Linux
since most schools have a mix.

IS there any content on our Linux distribution you ant me to put on our
website. We can't put the entire distribution up for download though.

p.s. I hope you're putting in a plug for internet whenever you visit
schools. Remember - if they put in the phone extention to the lab, we'll
provide the modem free.

cheers,

Daryl