I think you know more about those devilish xresource files than i do.
The only hints i have are:

Look for "option add *Text*background" (etc) in start.tcl

> The dark background is applied almost everywhere, but not, say, in the Game
> List window

The gamelist is a treeview widget - one of the new "improved" ttk
widgets with a half-baked style mechanism of their own.
Look for the "::ttk::style configure Treeview" comands in gamelist.tcl

> Highlighted moves in the PGN pane are completely unreadable because it uses
> the Xresources font color (white) but against a fixed background (light blue)

I have addressed this in subversion - there is a new feature to alter
this colour: options->colours>highlight

Steven