any reason you can't just turn hald off?  Most servers don't need it.

Steve Timm

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Faye Gibbins wrote:

Hi,

I've got one very special machine that has about 15,000 - 20,000 automount entries.

Things are fine until about 5000 mount points are mounted up then any further adding (in a tight bash loop) slows dramatically and hald starts taking more and more CPU.
Memeory usage is well below physical ram, no swapping.

Automount mounting slows to a few seconds per mount and the system loads goes up and the machine slowly grinds to a halt.

Running hald in foreground and in verbose mode I see lots and lots of this type of messages:

12:46:01.254 [I] osspec.c:256: /proc/mounts tells, that the mount has tree changed

(process:10306): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

(process:10306): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

(process:10306): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

If anyone can shed some light on this it would make me very happy.

It feels like when you see a search routine slow as n increases, is hald or dbus using a flat directory somewhere as a hash table?

Machine details:
SL5.5
2.6.18-194.32.1.el5

Faye

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
t...@fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Group Leader.
Lead of FermiCloud project.