The out of date rarely bothers me.  If SAMBA (and 98% of other things) isn't
new enough, I just build the latest from source...  Most things are good
enought, and if not then it's normally at most one major package (and it's
dependencies) per server that needs to be "newer".

Some things can get into long dependency list, but most things build fine on
EL6 with little trouble including the latest SAMBA.