because NPR has a pretense of being liberal or
progressive that MSNBC or FOX lack utterly. In fact
MSNBC and FOX are actually more ethical because they
make no sham of non commercial bias or homespun
practicality. these days...as a long time NPR listener
but only recent years critic i have to say that National
Public Radio is the best place for subversive
broadcasting...if you are a republicanor a huge fan of
capitalist laissez-faire habits, or spotty and unfair
journalism.
Moyers is striking out because NPR presents itself as
hipper than thou and PC and they with their pledge
drives and constant plugging of Big Oil and
Globochem.arrgh are utterly and completely privatized,
corporate and Republican. It is unfair to view them as
the people who made sesame street and nova. None of
those people - the old heads we know from teh seventies
-- are there any more.

When a company like Clear Chanel does what it has done
(become the Ma Bell of radio -- when itcan't get in by
legal means it gets in like a corrup politico does -- by
greasing palms.  trust Merck and Eli Lilly and teh Ford
Foundation to continue to bring you Focus on the Family
and car talk.

mikal x
Philly

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/BBB15FFD38DCFFFB86257003001B326B?OpenDocument

> [...]
> the public trusts.
> >
> > "We are, by far, the most 'fair and balanced,'" he
> said, a reference to
> the motto of Fox News.
> >
> > Moyers complained that PBS' "liberal" label is
> undeserved.
> >
> > "In contrast to the conservative mantra that public
> television routinely
> features the voices of establishment critics," he
> said, alternative voices
> on public television are rare and usually drowned out
> by government and
> corporate views.
> >
> > Moyers said that's exactly what the right wing
> wants.
> >
> > "They want your reporting to validate their belief
> system, and when it
> doesn't God forbid."
> >
> > He said he always thought that the American eagle
> needed both a left wing
> and a right wing. "But with two right wings, or two
> left wings, it's no
> longer an eagle, and it's going to crash."
> >
> > Moyers said right wingers had attacked him after he
> closed a broadcast by
> placing a flag in his lapel.
> >
> > It was the first time that he had worn a flag. He
> said he put it on to
> remind himself that "not every patriot thinks we
> should do to the people of
> Baghdad what bin Laden did to us."
> >
> > "The flag has been hijacked and turned into a logo,
> a trademark of a
> monopoly on patriotism," Moyers said.
> >
> > Moyers had harsh words for reporters who simply
> recount what officials
> say, without scrutinizing what they say and do.
> >
> > He said New York Times correspondent Judith Miller,
> among other reporters,
> had relied on official but unnamed sources "when she
> served essentially as
> the government's stenographer for claims that Iraq
> possessed weapons of mass
> destruction."
> >
> > Moyers said he has come to understand that "news is
> what people want to
> keep hidden and everything else is publicity."
> >
> > He said that kind of reporting has never been
> tougher to do:
> >
> > "Without a trace of irony, the powers that be have
> appropriated the news
> speak vernacular of George Orwell's '1984,' giving us
> a program, no child
> will be left behind, while cutting funds for educating
> disadvantaged
> children.
> >
> > "They give us legislation calling for clear skies
> and healthy forests"
> while "turning over public lands to the energy
> industry."
> >
> > He said the public shares the blame:
> >
> > "An unconscious people, an indoctrinated people, a
> people fed only
> partisan information and opinion that confirm their
> own bias, a people made
> morbidly obese in mind and spirit by the junk food of
> propaganda is less
> inclined to put up a fight - ask questions and be

=== message truncated ===

http://particlezen.proboards7.com/index.cgi
the edge of everything.  no, really.

http://www.deadjournal.com/users/cataleptik/