My understanding of the teaching thing in high schools comes from talking to
my students who have been teachers and to students just out of high school.
They indicate that assigning anything designated science fiction or fantasy
involves special permissions.  Kindred stands outside of that.  And most of
the time when entire school boards have to decide on something that
addresses race and black people, they decide on something dealing with
slavery rather than race in the contemporary context.  Most students won't
get to talk about the marriage in the book until at least college or maybe
even grad school.  Teachers will ignore it.

It's interesting what you say about Butler's use of men.  I remember being
struck by the fact that she was one of the few "literary" writers who wrote
relationships for black women at all.  In a lot of novels, the woman had a
great love who was already dead by the time the action started, or the novel
led to a marriage where the details were obscured, or there was abuse.
Nothing good, or even mundane existed for a long time.

Tracy