Tish:
thanks for the heads up.  I found it

 UPDATE: Depp Joining Smith in I Am Legend
Source: BlackFilm.com
July 3, 2006

BlackFilm.com reports that "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise star
Johnny Depp will join Will Smith in Warner Bros.' I Am Legend, for
director Francis Lawrence (Constantine):

When Will Smith was cast as the lead in the long-awaited adapted film
version of Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND, it was probably the worst
kept secret. After all, his name had been floating around the web for
the longest time. Until certain outlets that folks feel are the bible of
information put the word out to confirm our story, sources tell
blackfilm.com that along with Smith, JOHNNY DEPP has been added to the cast.

Depp may be playing Ben Cortman, who is Robert Neville's (Smith)
neighbor in the film and the first to get infected, becoming the head
vampire.

In Richard Matheson's book, Neville is the last living man on Earth...
but he is not alone. Every other man, woman, and child has become a
vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood. By day, he is the
hunter, stalking the sleeping undead through the abandoned ruins of
civilization. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for
the dawn.

The site says filming starts this September.

UPDATE: JoBlo has learned that Depp will actually be playing a fellow
survivor that Smith's character finds named Philip. The site says that
Cortman has been taken out of the story completely. Akiva Goldsman's
rewrite apparently has the monsters unable to speak and they are more
primal and unintelligent.

*

FROM BLACKFILM>COM
June 30, 2006
*
When Will Smith was cast as the lead in the long-awaited adapted film
version of Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND, it was probably the worst
kept secret. After all, his name had been floating around the web for
the longest time. Until certain outlets that folks feel are the bible of
information put the word out to confirm our story, sources tell
blackfilm.com that along with Smith, JOHNNY DEPP has been added to the
cast. No telling which role Depp will play, but given his penchant for
playing extraordinary weird-like characters, expect a juicy plum part,
like the neighbor, now one of the living dead.

Set in Los Angeles after a biological war, the film centers on the sole
healthy survivor, a man who finds himself in a battle against nocturnal
mutants.

Based on the novel by Richard Matheson, the film will be written by Mark
Protosevich. Constantine director Francis Lawrence will helm the film
with David Heyman, Akiva Goldsman, Neal Moritz and Erwin Stoff serving
as producers.

Matheson's book was adapted twice before. Vincent Price starred in "The
Last Man on Earth" and Charlton Heston toplined "The Omega Man".

Shooting will begin in New York at the end of September. Warner Bros.
will distribute the film.

According to joblo.com, a production source writes in to report that
Depp would NOT be playing the role of Cortman/main villian in the film.
Apparently that character (from Mark Protosevich's script) has been
excised completely. Depp, we now learn, would be playing a fellow
survivor that Smith's character finds named Philip.

update from joblo
* June 30, 2006

*

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM