From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-------- Original Message --------
I was griping on my blog, earlier this week, about how I've encountered more

overt homophobes, racists, sexists, etc., within the speculative fiction
community than in any other literary realm.  Some of them are of the
not-quite-benign, "one day we'll all be one race so let's try hard to breed
racism away", stupidism branch of the family.  But there are also a
surprising number of unapologetic extremists (e.g., Orson Scott Card).  Now
as I read about the racist opinion piece published last week in the
Asianweek newspaper by columnist Kenneth Eng, (details here:
http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/070228_prince/ ) I see some
articles pointing out that Eng is a science fiction writer.

WTF??  What *is* it about this field that attracts such people?  Aren't we
supposed to be progressive?

Nora

Community email addresses:
Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe Digest Mode: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SciFiNoir_Lit/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional