YA fiction is perplexing because some YA fiction is more adult than
so-called adult fiction.  I am currently reading a YA novel called
"Octavian Nothing" that is more interesting and challenging, in both
language and subject matter, than anything I have read in adult
fiction this year. Further, I don't believe "Nothing," a novel that
has won several YA book awards, would have been published as an adult
novel.

I mention, again, my one bite at the golden apple of big house
publishing (Knopf) where it was suggested that my (still) unpublished
manuscript, "The World Ebon," despite the sex, violence and language,
might work better as a YA novel.  In fact, the only suggestion Knopf's
YA editor made was that the novel was two long and might work better
as two novels.

At the time I considered YA fiction a literary ghetto. Now, I am
starting to rethink the entire proposition.

~rave!

--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "brent wodehouse"
<brent_wodeho...@...> wrote:

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Young+adult+writers+serious/
1031402/story.html

> Young adult writers get serious
>
> By Eric Volmers
>

> As a teacher, outdoor enthusiast and young adult novelist, it's
fitting
> that James Davidge would dream up a villain whose most dastardly
deed is
> getting young people hooked on video games.
>
> In Driftwood Ellesmere, the 2006 debut of Davidge's Driftwood
series,
> starry-eyed children fall under the spell of a mythical monster with
> corporate ambitions that uses tiny hand-held video games to enslave
them.
> Driftwood, a young girl who grew up in isolation, but has a knack
for
> using magical powers to solve the world's woes, must help free the
> addicted children while dealing with her own painful past and family
> history. But the plot line, while perhaps in tune with that author's
> on Game Boy addicts, was not simply a jab at the video game
industry,
> Davidge says. It has deeper symbolism.
>
> "There is a moment in the book where there is this dialogue about
time,"
> he says.
>
> "It's about our consumer culture and how it is motivated by what is
> supposed to save us time, but ends up costing us time. It's that
dual
> purpose of materialism and we are drawn to both sides as consumers:
That
> what gives us time, uses up time. These video games kill time for
us."

> The Calgary author has since released two more Driftwood books,
which has
> the teen coming face-to-face with some troubling, topical issues. In
> Driftwood's Crusade, the young magician attempts to free child
workers
> enslaved on a cocoa farm. In Driftwood Saves the Whales (Bayeux Arts
Inc.,
> 200 pages, $10.95), she...well, saves the whales. But she also
becomes a
> celebrity and attempts to block the production of Driftwood action
figures
> that promote "negative self images."
>
> It all seems somewhat weighty for books that, while originally
marketed to
> teens, have also found an audience among kids aged eight to 12.
While
> Driftwood's dalliances into magic and teen romance shows an obvious
debt
> to J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, the bespectacled boy wizard
has had
> a wider influence than mere plot points on the lucrative young
adults
> market. Rowling -- whose children's book The Tales of Beedle the
Bard
> comes out Thursday -- opened up a whole new audience of readers
hungry for
> complex plots, interesting characters and serious issues. But
tackling
> tough topics is not new to youth fiction.
>
> "I think young readers get excited by that," says Davidge. "If you
look at
> the original text of Pinocchio in the 19th century, you'll see that
it was
> very much looking at the social issues at the time. It's not new to
youth
> literature. Look at Grimm Fairy Tales, they are designed to scare
but they
> also offer social commentary."
>
> There are other significant challenges to writing for the youth
market,
> not the least of which is figuring who exactly fits into the loose
> definition of "young adult."
>
> Books written under that banner can appeal to kids as young as eight
and
> as old as 18.
>
> "This whole genre thing is perhaps more about marketing," says
Banff,
> Alta., author Lisa Hurst-Archer, whose first novel How to Make a
Wave (Red
> Deer Press, 223 Pages, $12.95) is being sold as a young adult title.
"When
> I wrote How to Make a Wave, I wasn't really thinking of it as a YA
book. I
> was thinking of it as a story. I was writing a story to myself at 13
years
> old. It was something I would have liked to have read at that age. A
lot
> of what is considered YA novels are crossing into adult fiction."
>
> How to Make a Wave is about a lonely teenager who has been
disfigured by a
> car accident and is forced to confront some uncomfortable truths
about her
> family.
>
> Like the Driftwood series, it deals with difficult topics. Issues of
> self-image and isolation make the novel a fitting story for young
people
> who are in that often painful and humiliating process of "finding
> themselves" and forging their own identity. Kids are looking for
material
> that doesn't flinch from the hard questions and choices involved in
> growing up, says Hurst-Archer, a mother of five whose home often
became a
> meeting place for teens as her children grew up.
>
> "Those young people are so hungry for authentic engagement about
what it
> means to be human," she says. "This isn't Miley Cyrus or Britney
Spears."

> Authors have responded by taking stories down some dark and
controversial
> roads, says Peter Carver, an editor at the now Toronto-based Red
Deer
> Press, who oversees its growing list of titles for children and
young
> adults. Topics that may have been taboo even 10 years ago are now
bubbling
> up in young adult fiction.
>
> Martine Leavitt's 2004 novel Heck Superhero captured a Governor-
General's