I thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Killer application of the (near) future would be
when ADSL is really launched and people start downloading
video.  Like single sign-on, they will be tired of
punching in their credit card, so smartcard will
be the choice.  But, the readers would likely have to
be both swipe plus smartcard, plus probably pin
so that legacy credit cards could be used.  There is
ecash and ecommerce where every click on every
icon gets to nibble on your bank account too.
This is (fortunately) not yet, but it could
'drive' development of smart cards.

That's just one possibility.  But this depends on
credit card companies issuing smart cards.  But they
are sitting on some billion magnetic stripe cards
so there is no reason to change, yet.  Credit card
companies have developed (their) applications using the
smart card.  The problem is standards.

I suppose someone could develop an ad hoc standard
as a 'cash' card for downloading porno movies ...
don't laugh, development of killer apps sometimes
takes exactly that form, and then the standard
is adopted and legitimized.

Dennis Wier