It's not necessary, or even possible, to put the ssh client on a card.  What
is possible is to put the ssh client private key on a card.  I think we've
done that, it's not hard.  What's harder, and we have not done this, is to
put the private key on the card, and also do the crypto on the card, so that
the key is never exposed.

There is an ssh client for Palm computers, from the Topgun group at
Berkeley, so it is possible to put it on a small computer.  But not on a
card.

I've been thinking about how to use smartcards with the Palm.  I've got a
working card reader, but it uses the only serial port.  Most interesting (to
me) applications require a network, so you would need to use IR for the net,
and the serial port for the reader.

One interesting non-networked app is skey, and I do plan to put my skey key
on a card and use it with an OTP app on the Palm.  Palm OTP with md5 is only
27K so there is some hope it would fit on a card, especially if I can find a
javacard that does md5.  I think Cyberflex only does sha1.