Jack Campin (Scots musician and social historian, uk.music.folk regular)
sent me a GIF image of a guittar duet published by Bremner in the mid 1700s
of this piece. I've assembled it for a single Tacoma Papoose (about the same
size as a Scottish guittar of the period) tuned GDgcea and put it on my
mp3.com. Streaming RealAudio of this sounds AWFUL - unbelievably warbly and
garbled - and I found the the LAME mp3 encoder algorithm was very bad with
it too, ended up trying several encoders before I got a decent sound from
this tiny high pitched instrument. The so-called hi-fi mp3 file is fine, in
the end, and gives a reasonable rendering of how the Papoose's built-in
piezo records. It is strung with 12-56 phosphor bronze 'nameless' web
sourced strings and put through a Trace TAP-1 with Trace 'shape' switched on
(the pickup in my Papoose is passive). The recording lasts just under 4
minutes and goes through the two main parts of this awful 18th century march
several times.

Jack says the Edinburgh Trained Bands were ineffectual middle-class
voluntary police organisations and you can easily imagine them playing this
on bugles or hunting horns while marching, with all the quality of a Mexican
wedding party band! Due to the Handel-esque dotted rythm parts of it are
really unpleasant to play, but overall the effect is rewardingly, er,
different.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/900/900446.html

David Kilpatrick