In a message dated 12/18/00 5:19:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< > ... But then, I think Inverness is a nice town,

 >TOWN ???  You'll have to be re-programmed. >>

I'm sorry. I guess I do need re-programming. A part of my problem is I live
in an American city, and, well, it's quite a bit bigger than Inverness, and
that's MY conceptual problem! I'll start practicing now....City of Inverness,
City of Inverness.

I'm also curious, in a cross-cultural sort of way. In America, you're a city
if you want to be. I mean, I don't think it takes an act of Congress or a
Presidential Proclamation for a place to refer to itself as a city. You just
look around, say to yourself, "Hmm, we're big, lots of people, got a transit
problem and too much traffic, we must be a city."    Well, I joke a bit, but
not much!

Is it different in the UK? Would Stirling catch it if they said, "visit our
city" but the Queen of England hadn't told them they could call themselves
that?

Does this go back to the idea of Burghs being granted by the crown? Or am I
completely off-base and you wish I'd go away?

I hope this isn't too far off-topic. I ask it truly, I really am curious, no
offense meant.

--Cynthia Cathcart