David Kilpatrick forwarded a message posted on rec.music.celtic:

> > From: "D&L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Newsgroups: rec.music.celtic

[Snip]

> > On the Windam Hill CD: Celtic Christmas IV, there is an instrumental
> > tune called "Cradle Song" written by J. Scott Skinner.  Does anyone
> > have the lyrics or know anything about the tune?

I believe there ARE words to "The Cradle Song", but I'm not sure what they
are - I may have them somewhere and I'll have a look later. "Cradle Song"
was composed by Scott Skinner (see a potted biography at:
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/scottish/mandopp/discs/mcken.html )

Skinner did write songs (tunes with words) which seemed to be popular in
his lifetime. The lyrics would have been written by North-Eastern poets
and, in the opinion of Mary Anne Alburger ('Scottish Fiddlers and Their
Music'), these songs are among "...his dullest efforts". "Cradle Song" -
the tune - was composed after "...watching a young mother care for her
child in a Forres hotel room" ((Hunter, 'The Fiddle Music of Scotland').

Oh - I've found the lyrics in 'The Scots Fiddle' by J Murray Neil (I
believe a new edition has just been released); no attribution for the
words.

The Cradle Song

Sprites that guard young children
Enter here tonight;
O'er my fevered darling
Watch till morning light.

>From our home forever
Went my love away;
Crossed the darkling River
Entered endless day.

Sleep my own fair darling
I will cling to thee;
Sure my cup of sorrow
Cannot fuller be.

Oh! my life is lonely;
Oft my thoughts are wild;
Ah! my heart were broken,
Did I lose my child.

But I'll trust God's mercy
And, through widow's tears;
Watch my precious darling
Climb to manhood's years.

Then I'll trace my lost one
Mirrored in these eyes;
Till I join his presence
Up beyond the skies.

I've posted this to rec.music.celtic also.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The Scottish Music Pages: