In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nigel Gatherer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Surprisingly enough it WAS called exactly that when he published it in his
> Harp and Claymore collection in 1903. The term is almost certainly a
> dancing reference, although in 18th century Scotland a "Rocking" was the
> Lowland equivalent of the Highland "ceilidh".

The »rocking step« is one of the canonical steps of the Highland Fling
and must have been around in Skinner's time. The tune sounds reasonable
for a Highland Fling as far as I'm concerned so that's probably not
far off the mark.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ......................... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You're much more likely to be knocked down by a snowball than by an equivalent