"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> David Kilpatrick wrote:
>
> >I have just acquired a Scottish - possibly! - 18th c guittar - take a
> >look...
>
> I am truly jealous. That's an incredible find! I perform at 18th century historic
>sites and could use an instrument like that. How did you determine the approximate
>date? I was under the impression that the "English Guittar" usually had 5 courses,
>like a Baroque or Spanish guitar. Am I mis-remembering?

Hobgoblin in London have one for £595, a Gibson of Dublin guitar, but apparently it's
not
very tidy and has had mandolin tuners fitted. They do come up for sale and Roger
Bucknall
of Fylde Guitars can make a replica, with modern tuners but authentic size and shape,
order.

The guittar or English guitar can have several variations of courses. I have seen
pictures
of a seven-course one - three basses and four double trebles. But five courses would
be a
cittern; I think what distinguishes the transition from cittern to English guitar is
the
shift from five doubled courses (developed from an earlier four-course standard) and
re-entrant banjo style tuning, to six courses with single basses and a hexachord
tuning.

Since I posted the information I now have been told this is a Simpson, c 1765.

David