"W. B. OLSON" wrote:

> Can I try again to do that 5 verse version of "John Anderson, my Jo"
> from 'Philomel', 1744, that I sang last Friday night? That verse where
> the reciter of the traditional text in 'Philomel', forgot the 3rd and
> 4th lines of one verse and just repeated the 1st and 2nd, sort of threw
> me, and I lost track of where I was on the tune. It's really a
> delightful very old Scots ballad on a rare theme - marital bliss, no
> blood or booze.

Slightly non sequitur but I would agree about the song. Even the
versions least favoured by the taste of Scott's era (and personally I
reckon he was responsible for a lot of that change) can be very moving
when sung well, and don't sound in the slightest vulgar. Good contrast
to current songs about sex!

David