Eric Falconer wrote (re Billy and Me, Hogg):

> My brother had to learn that at primary school and recite it.  So he
> practised at home over and over again.  Funnily enough I've loved it ever
> since.

It probably sounds perfect from the mouth of a six-year-old! I know what
you mean. Anything you hear and learn at that age/ish can stay with you.

It took me 40 years to discover that something I half-remembered and
knew from the age of 4 or 5, which I had loved hearing at the time
because of its tune and some of the words, was 'The Duke of Atholl's
Nurse' probably repeatedly played on BBC Radio around 1956-7, and
probably due to Ewan MacColl; though I also have an odd idea that a
Workington wifie who used to 'mind' me and let me feed her hens and
stuff might have sung it - just the first verse and the verse about sack
and sugar candy.

If anyone can tell me whether that song WAS widely played on radio
around that date I'd love to know. I do know it wasn't heard from my
mother, dad, brothers, or school etc.

David