On our local San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers mail list a question came up
that is driving me crazy; I should be able to figure this out but can't.
Someone asked whether a grace note is played on the beat, or ahead of the
beat.  I maintained that for dance or march music a strong beat is wanted
and a grace note should be played ahead of the beat, so the beat comes on
the main note of the melody.  I thought this was obvious, but then someone
else who is classically trained expressed just the opposite opinion, that
the ornament takes away from the following note, not the previous one!  I've
been playing tunes this evening trying to figure out what I really do and
can't figure it out!  Help!
--
Steve Wyrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- Concord, California