Nigel mused:
> The buzz is that Lonnie Donegan has hung up his dustman's hat, caught
> the last Wabash Canonball and gone to where the chewing gum always
> tastes fresh in the morning. Am I right in thinking he was Glaswegian,
> and can be credited (at a stretch) with introducing many people to folk
> music? Before my time, guv, honest. R.I.P.

I think he was, Glaswegian that is, and he is, gone.  The one story I
remember about him (apologies if this is already in the press) is that he
had a heart attack a number of years ago, and was quite ill.  This was
reported through the news agencies, but his name was confused in the Far
East with that of the US president of the day- Lonnie Leagan.  It caused a
short but severe dip in the stock market there, as fears spread for the
international economy.

The only thing I find hard to believe about that is that Leagan is not
remembered for his successful handling of the US economy.

Derek