David Francis wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:

maybe the ballads really go back even further to the
Bronze Age, and ALL iron is 'metal clear' while those old bronze swords
are 'metal broon'...

It's an interesting thought, and maybe not so far fetched.  Take a look at
Alan Garner's essay (he of 'Red Shift', 'The Owl Service' etc) 'Oral history
and applied history in East Cheshire' (it's in his collection 'The Voice
that Thunders'). Here he proposes the view, based on deductions from place
names and topographical evidence in an archetypal 'Sleeping Warrior' story,
that the story itself probably has its origins in some of the earliest
communities in that part of the world - dated to the Bronze Age around 4,000
years ago.  The story is still current in oral tradition around Alderley
Edge.

As long as it's not the same as the sleeping Scotsman story... presumably it's a
warrior asleep until rewakened to save the world story?

I would have thought that was probably even older still and shares roots with all deist religion, and in turn with the fact of being born and having parents.

I used enjoy Garner's kids books (with small reservations, even as a kid) but haven't seen his other writing and must look.

David