Are there any experienced fiddlers on the list?  I'm coming out of lurk mode to ask a question about bowing.  There are some techniques that are unique to Scottish fiddle playing and since I've not seen it done, it isn't all that easy to understand what is printed in this book.  (Caledonian Companion)  Very interesting book, BTW!

In Irish music, I have either played notes with an up or down bow, or slurred several notes on a single bow stroke, but I've never heard of a 'straight slur' where you briefly stop then continue in the same bow direction.  It's supposed to sound very staccato.  But it doesn't mention in the book if it is acceptable to lift the bow off the strings!  I don't know if it's ever acceptable to lift the bow off the strings, so I wanted to write and see if any of you knew whether or not it's okay.  It's much easier to bow the 'straight slur' this way, instead of remaining on the strings for the pause.  Pardon my ignorance, but I'm completely self taught, there are no fiddle teachers in my area.  <  I must be getting better though--my dog doesn't leave the room when I practice anymore!!  LOL  >

Best wishes to all of you for the new year!!

Kate