Bob Rogers wrote:
| Cynthia Cathcart wrote:
| > While we're talking about reels, and since there are a good smattering
| > of fiddlers here, I will hazard another question: how fast are they
| > usually played for dancers? One organization here in the States
| > advertises the "actual" tempo of reels at 130-140 per half note/minim.
| Well, in the preface to Skinner's _Harp and Claymore_, the editor, Gavin
| Greig, M.A., wrote regarding Strathspeys and reels,
|
| "The tempo of the former is 1/2 note = 94 and the latter 1/2 note = 126.
| This represents 20 seconds for the Strathspey, and 15 for the Reel.
| These are the rates given by Mr. Skinner, and coincide with those given
| by G.F Graham. Mr. John Glenn makes the Strathspey somewhat slower."
|
| For listening? My wife was practicing some Mozart at a tempo 1/2 note =
| 152, which is really fast. I was listening to a field recording of an
| American "Celtic" fiddler (on headphones in the next room), and his
| tempo exactly matched her metronome. It sounded very fast, but not
| really hurried or rushed.

In general, the proper speed is very different for different kinds of
dancing,  and there's usually at least a 10% variation on either side
of the average speed.

For some years, my wife and I have been playing for  a  rapper  sword
team.  They dance mostly to jigs.  I've taken an electronic metronome
along to a number of morris/sword events, and the typical rapper team
dances at about 160.  Their footwork gets really clunky and tiring if
the tempo is less than about 150.

Now, many musicians' reaction to this is "160?  Awk!!!" But actually,
a  jig  at  160  and  a  reel  at 120 are the same speed, 8 notes per
second. 120 is about the average speed for New England contras (which
we also play a lot). So anyone who plays reels for contras can play a
jig at 160.

I also play for a lot of Scottish (RSCDS) dances, and there the usual
speed for reels and jigs is around 112.  With the usual 10% variance,
of course, depending on the dance and the tunes.  It can be funny  to
watch contra musicians trying to hold down the tempo to 112.  But the
dancers will usually give you a lot of "too fast" feedback  when  the
tempo creeps up.

One thing that I like to point out to newcomers  to  this  and  other
kinds  of  dance is that there's an interesting pattern to the speed:
When playing for novices, you will need  to  play  a  bit  slowly  at
first, and speed up as they learn the dances.  But when playing for a
crowd of experienced dancers, they will want you to slow down.   This
is, contrary to common opinion, not an age-related thing.  The better
dancers have learned fancy things that  they  like  to  do  with  the
steps,  and  they can't do them at a fast tempo.  For an intermediate
crowd, a fast tempo works, because they mostly don't know  the  fancy
things,  and  they  also  don't  have the balance that slower dancing
requires.  But the more advanced  dancers  have  the  steps  and  the
balance, and they'll like the music slower so they can do things with
the dance.

A while ago I noticed that over the weekend I'd played Stan Chapman's
jig  at 112 for a Scottish dance, at 120 for a contra, and at 160 for
a rapper dance.  The style you  need  for  all  of  these  is  rather
different, of course, but the tune works for all of them.

I've also played for a lot of Irish step dancers  in  the  past,  and
they  have at least 6 distinct jigs, each with a different rhythm and
tempo.  Then there's Morris dancing, with its  deliberate  tempos  of
around  80 or 90.  One of my favorite ways of educating musicians who
are impressed by fast and loud is to get them to  try  playing  along
with Morris dancers.  This is a crowd that is *not* impressed by fast
and loud. Too fast is simply wrong.  And you need to play loud enough
to  be heard, but not so loud that you drown the calls.  And you have
to learn a lot of style. And, of course, you need to learn the proper
irreverent, nonchalant attitude towards it all.