"Toby Rider" wrote:
>   I very much like the statement that John Chambers and others made about
> this subject, you have to be sensitive to who, what and where you are
> playing for.

I'm glad that you said this - I've been meaning to respond to this thread
... As I have both played for and danced at events, I have found this
discussion very informative and helpful. In particular, I was very impressed
with John's response, especially this comment:

"One thing that I like to point out to newcomers  to  this  and  other kinds
of  dance is that there's an interesting pattern to the speed: When playing
for novices, you will need  to  play  a  bit  slowly  at first, and speed up
as they learn the dances.  But when playing for a crowd of experienced
dancers, they will want you to slow down.   This is, contrary to common
opinion, not an age-related thing. ............ But the more advanced
dancers  have  the  steps  and  the balance, and they'll like the music
slower so they can do things with the dance."
(agreed - especially for hornpipes!!)

I thought that this showed a great deal of 'insight', understanding and
sensitivity to both players' and dancers' needs ... if followed, this advice
would no doubt create a great synergy between dancers and players.
I couldn't help thinking, as I read the note, that any dance where the
musicians projected
this kind of  knowledgeable, yet seemingly easy-going and accommodating
attitude, would be a really positive, rewarding, fun event for all
involved - players
and dancers alike.
Thanks for the info so far, everyone.