Jack Campin wrote:
Barfly is so frustrating on my Mac! I can't use anything except
'beep' and it plays in a way which bears no resemblance to your
demosntration - all the note lengths are wrong and the result
doesn't even sound like a tune. More like some very long horrible
ringtone.

1. Reinstall QuickTime - early versions of QT 5 are no good, up to
   4.0.3 is okay and so is 6 - and make sure the musical instruments
   are installed.

OK, my Classic installation has QT5. The instruments stutter and some don't sound at all.
That may be the explanation - no problem adding them to Barfly, they simply don't work.

David