The Audio Technica is a nice mic. I think I've tried ever freakin' little
mic out there.
 You don't necessarily have to use a tube pre-amp for conditioning the
signal.. My choice pre-amp is the L.R. Baggs Para acoustic D.I.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_paradi_html.html

 It's a little solid-state preamp designed for acoustic guitars.. It's
actually probably even nicer for use with fiddles and singing. It has
some really nice tunable notch controls, which are super useful for
fiddles, because it allows you to get rid of that damned "popping" noise
that happens when you attack the strings hard (which is a standard
technique in Scottish fiddling :-) and totally warm up the sound.
 You can run it straight to the board, or into a regular amp. Best of all,
it's pretty cheap as far as these type of things go. I think I paid
$250.00 for mine about 5-6 years ago.
 Of course if you're going to be super-traditional, and use big mics
attached to mic stands (like all the bluegrass players in North Carolina)
then the only mic to even consider is the Shure SM-57..

--
Toby Rider ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"IMHO this is a wholly unacceptable piece of equipment to play music with.
The real question is, whether it is more functional as a piece of
furniture, cigarette holder, or dart board?"

- Anonymous musicial instrument reviewer

Toby Rider's Understated Homepage: http://www.blackmill.net/toby_rider/