Tappan wrote:

[Carla and Bob Rogers wrote]:
>> For the fiddlers: The C part starts out: |:G2g gfg|agf gdB| How do
>> you bow that? Using alternating bows puts the bow going in the wrong
>> direction for the next G. I tried slurring the gdB, which plays
>> well, but doesn't sound right.
>
> I bow it: down, down, up-down-up, down-up-down, up-down-up, with the
> first down being short and sort of staccato - I'm not sure I'm using
> the right terms. I use the same bowing for the rest of the phrases
> that are similar in that section.

The version I use, from the SF Fiddle Club tune archive, is written as
|:G3/2g/g gfg... with similar meter for the rest of the section (i.e., the
first 3 notes in each measure is lilted and the 2nd are "straight), except
for the last 2 measures which are all lilted.  The bowing they use
throughout the section is down up down up-up-up, with a single bow on each
note of the last 2 measures.  This seems to work fine although I'll admit I
haven't worked much on this tune and might want to change the bowings if I
start adding ornaments.
--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California