Jack Campin wrote:

> > ...Jimmy Shand's books of waltzes (were there three or four of
> > them?)...

> I've got the first two (wre there others?)

Yes; I was surprised too, but I saw them last time I was in Perth. I'm
going in again this afternoon, so I'll try to buy them and report back.

Funnily enough I found the first two in a charity shop in Edinburgh the
other day. Here in Crieff I picked up a book called 'Eilean Fraoich -
Lewis Gaelic Songs and Melodies' (1982) which has more than 150
melodies, including songs, orain luaidh (waulking songs), puirt-a-beul
and orain gaoil gun urrainn (I'm guessing rowing songs?).

My dad found an interesting publication for me yesterday in Dunkeld:
'Scott Skinner's Book of Selected National Songs' (1923), which I've
never seen before. It's in the same series as his life story, which was
presented in serial as a supplement to the People's Journal. Included
is one of his songs, "The Bonnie Ann", for which he wrote the music and
words. Well, let's just say he isn't famous for his songs.

The People's Journal published many supplements, and I have a few. One
I'm looking at just now is '100 Humorous Scottish Songs'. There's not a
big difference between these and chapbooks or broadsides, and I'm sure
some singers used them in the same way, as repositories for the words
of songs.

Musings from a pen.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland