David Greenberg or Kate Dunlay wrote:

I don't know about colours, but here's how he characterized the keys in "A Guide to Bowing":

It's interesting how keys have totally different tonal characteristics on different instruments.. Example, the key of E has very different tonal qualities on the fiddle, the guitar, the banjo, the piano, the flute or the voice.
I think his observations reflect the physical characteristics of the fiddle. Different methods of tone production seem to give different character to the same notes in the same keys on different instruments.
Then again, it could all be hot air.. Which was all know J.S. Skinner had plenty of.. :-)