A belated thanks for all responses to my original note.  I got a start on
this project last week (One evening I sat down at the computer intending
to transcribe a couple tunes but when I stopped I had 20 coded, or better
than a third of Petrie's first tunebook!).  I'm doing all the melody lines
first, then will go back and add the bass lines later on.  I'll keep
Petrie's original keys and his ornaments, bow markings and comments.  I
expect my progress on this to be fairly erratic due to various upcoming
commitments, though!

I have a further question:  these tunebooks seem to be inconsistent in
noting which tunes were composed by Petrie and which were from other
sources (in the first tunebook there's no authorship info so I assumed
most tunes were Petrie's own, however I found several that I know to be
traditional.  In latter tunebooks he does better with attribution).  I'd
like to be able to include accurate authorship information, so am looking
for a resource to provide this.  I'm aware of Andrew Kunz's Fiddlers'
Companion, but are there other resources online or in print that I should
be using? -Steve

Steve Wyrick said:
> I have a facsimile of Robert Petrie's tune books (thanks to Jan Tappan),
which I think have never been reprinted, and I'm finding a lot of
enjoyable tunes that don't show up in abc anywhere on the net.  I'm
thinking about starting a project to transcribe these books into abc but I
> thought I'd ask for some advice.  First, does anyone know of an existing
abc transcription or other electronic facsimile of Petrie's collections? I
don't want to duplicate someone else's work.  Second, these tunes are
scored for melody plus bass line (Petrie says, suitable for Harpsichord or
> Cello); if I do pursue this project, is there value in transcribing the
bass lines as well?  Being a fiddler I don't normally deal with the bass
clef but I'm sure I could figure it out!  Any advice appreciated -Steve --

--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California