> Unfortunately the background to the Kerrs books is vague, although
> I've often felt like doing some research. I believe the company still
> exists in some form in Glasgow, but I'm shy of approaching them (apart
> from having failed to find the time to do so).

They turned into a classical record shop in Woodlands Road.  I used
to go in there regularly in the early 1980s.  They're not there any
more and I don't know what they're up to now.

> I think it would be possible to trace many of the original sources for
> the tunes in Merry Melodies. It seems obvious, for example, that Joseph
> Lowe's Collection was heavily borrowed from; the Gow books similarly,
> and Simon Fraser's collections. There are clearly contemporary
> compositions in there, particularly from Carl Volti, which makes me
> suspect that he was possibly the editor.

Somebody remind me what Carl Volti's real name was? He was a Scottish
musician who adopted an Italian professional name.  I used to hear his
reel "The Apple Tree" a lot a few years ago, it seems to have gone out
of fashion.  The tune is sometimes known as "Willie Cook's Apple Tree",
was Cook really Volti?  (It's printed in "Merry Melodies" with Volti's
strathspey "Willie Cook" before it).

X:2
T:The Apple Tree
Z:Jack Campin <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> April 2004
S:Kerr's MM v2 p5
M:C|
L:1/8
Q:1/2=112
K:A
 A2 a2  fe`dc| Aa`ga  fe`dc|[1 Bc`de  fB`Bc|   Bcde fefa:|!
                            [2 Bc`de  fB`Ba|   gefg a2e2||
(EA)AB (cB)AF|(EA)AB (cB)AG|! (FB)Bc (dc)BA|[1 GABc defe:|
                                            [2 GEFG A2e2|]