> I'm having difficulty fitting chords to this tune. Here's my effort -
> can anybody suggest anything better?

I hear it pretty close to your version but I like the first and fifth
measure G chords to last through the measure. I know that the notes of the
second half of those measures are theoretically closer to a D chord, but I
think the second and sixth measures somehow stand out better if the D
chord is fresh with those measures. I think, for my ears, it has something
to do with hearing a chord change (G to D) over a repeated note (A note at
end of first measure and A note at beginning of second measure). It
somehow drives the tune forward into the second measure to hear that.

The way I hear it might change if I had a real instrument with me, or if I
played the tune for a while. I'm just doing this at work on a computer.
Nice tune Nigel!

X:1
T:Nuala's Jig
C:Nigel Gatherer
Z:Nigel Gatherer
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:1/1=300
K:G
"G"G2B "G"dcA | "D"AGF "G"GBd | "G"g3  "G"d2B | "D"cAG "D"FED |
"G"G2B "G"dcA | "D"AGF "G"GBd | "G"g3  "D"afd | "D"cAF "G"G3 :|
"Em"B2e gfe | "D"faf def | "G"g3  "G"d2B | "D"cAG FED |
"Em"B2e gfe | "D"faf def | "G"g3  "D"afd | "D"cAF "G"G3 :|