Hi,

I am using scratchbox to create dedicated linux "distribution" for small
device with x86 architecture.
The goal is to  compile everything (mostly) using  "only compile  from
sources" approach.

I installed SB from the following packages:
scratchbox-core-1.0.10-i386.tar.gz
scratchbox-libs-1.0.10-i386.tar.gz
scratchbox-devkit-debian-1.0.10-i386.tar.gz
scratchbox-toolchain-host-gcc-1.0.10-i386.tar.gz
scratchbox-devkit-doctools-1.0.8-i386.tar.gz
scratchbox-toolchain-i686-linux-ct4.1.0-2.3.6tls-1.0.4-i386.tar.gz

My scratchbox target is information is  as  follows:
Compiler:         i686-linux-ct4.1.0-2.3.6tls
Architecture:     i686
Sub-architecture: i686
C-library:        glibc
Devkits:          debian-etch doctools
CPU-transparency: none

I managed to compile kernel and packages needed for XWindows.
I am stuck with X-windows' xcb proto. It needs Python 2.5 to build some
python modules.

README file shows what it is:
"(...)Python libraries: xcb-proto also contains language-independent Python
libraries that are used to parse an XML description and create objects
used by Python code generators in individual language bindings.  These
libraries are installed into $(prefix)/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages.  If
this location is not on your system's Python path, scripts that import
them will fail with import errors.  In this case you must add the
install location to your Python path by creating a file with a `.pth'
extension in a directory that _is_ on the Python path, and put the
path to the install location in that file.  For example, on my system
there is a file named 'local.pth' in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages,
which contains '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages'.  Note that
this is only necessary on machines where XCB is being built. "

SB comes with Python version 2.3.4 so I compiled 2.5.2 from sources and
installed it with standard prefix (/usr/local).
As /usr/local/bin is redirected in SB I tried to export
SBOX_REDIRECT_IGNORE=/usr/local/bin/python.
However when I type 'python' I still get  version  2.3.4  although
/usr/local/bin/python is  2.5.2.
Am I doing something wrong?
The solution I found on this newsgroup is to use apt-get install
python2.5-dev however I would like to have in my sandbox only packages
compiled from scratch.

Do you have solution for my problem?   I am pretty much new to SB...
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Mateusz