On Friday, July 01, 2011 at 10:58 am, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> On 7/1/2011 7:24 AM, Kartik Thakore wrote:

> > chip during my talk you mentioned some technology for doing OpenGL
> > context/display lists better. Can you mention it again chip? I seem to
> > have forgotten it.

> Hi!  I was talking about tcc, the
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_C_Compiler .   It's x86-specific but
> otherwise it seems like a convenient and really fast way to create
> structures defined by C.

Are you suggesting an approach like Python's Weave or Cinpy?

         http://scipy.org/Weave
        http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ask/cinpy/

The approach I had in mind was to build an XS file full of Perl <-> C thunks
and then use the closure-over-dlfunc-pointer trick of P5NCI to avoid writing
(and paying the cost of) hundreds of otherwise-identical XS wrappers. This is
even one spot where a little AUTOLOAD magic would help memory usage even more.

-- c