[this is a follow-up email; I took qemu-discuss and qemu-devel off the
distribution list]

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:04 AM Igor Mammedov <imamm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Legacy MP table is not actively maintained part of the code,
> hence it's configuration which is not tested.
> However if someone is interested in maintaining this, one
> should contribute at least a testcase that will warn developers
> early if usecase is broken. We can't promise not breaking it
> ever but at least we would be able to document any breaking
> changes in release notes.

May I ask a clarification question?  Is it correct that the only
option to not use the MP tables and learn the CPU configuration would
be to implement support for ACPI? For a small educational OS like xv6
or Pintos, we're aiming at keeping the codebase small, which is why so
far we haven't taken this step. Is there a way to learn the CPU
configuration without using ACPI that involves relatively little code?

 - Godmar