On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 07:29:56PM -0400, Keith Hui wrote:
> (Looping in the SeaBIOS mailing list again.)
>
> See this: https://www.seabios.org/Runtime_config
>
> It appears CMOS locations are a legacy artifact and files within the
> cbfs image (eg. etc/floppy0) is the preferred way of passing SeaBIOS
> settings. If you want a proper fix with the value stored in CMOS (and
> be configurable via nvramtool), you'll need to modify both SeaBIOS and
> the coreboot option table layout for your board. If you need help with
> coreboot and are not subscribed to that mailing list, I can reach out
> and loop you in.
>
> @Kevin - What are we to do for SeaBIOS settings that the we may want
> to change at runtime eg. via nvramtool? Are there any such settings?

The floppy drive type corresponds to the floppy drive hardware
attached to the machine, so it's not something that should change
frequently.  Storing it in flash (as etc/floppy0) I think should be
sufficient.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend using cmos for anything, as using
flash is notably more flexible.  That said, I suppose some protocol
could be worked out between coreboot and seabios.  It seems odd to go
through all that work for ancient floppy drives though.

-Kevin