Hi,

I had some old files saved in diskettes that I really needed to see, so I
bought a floppy drive and installed it in my coreboot based computer, so, no,
It's not a retro project. :)

Regarding the AHCI CDROM issues, I really don't know. I did not have problems
with it so I did not look at that code at all.

Going back to the floppy configuration issue I think I need to explain my logic
a bit better.
So... Seabios does not provide us with a fancy interface to configure the
floppy drive type. It also does not assume anything. For real hardware, (not
qemu,) it is completely dependent on the etc/floppy "file" being present in
CBFS. The reason it cannot depend on the cmos value is because when you remove
the RTC battery, the CMOS memory gets filled up with random values. coreboot,
which runs before seabios has a mechanism to fix this, but ignores the floppy
type byte, leaving it with a random value.

My idea below, with my code, is not to use the CMOS value if there are no
etc/floppy files but instead to update the cmos value unconditionally whenever
etc/floppy files exist.
romfile_loadint returns the second argument if the file does not exist, i.e. 0.
so the if condition is correct for the logic I explained above.

On a second thought, I now think the condition "if (type0 || type 1)" should
not even exist. The best solution is to have the CMOS_FLOPPY_DRIVE_TYPE always
updated on every boot. This way, if there are no etc/floppy files in CBFS the
value of the byte would be zero, indicating to the operating system that there
are no floppy drives installed.

Cheers,
Ed

     On Wednesday, 3 April 2024 at 03:58:40 BST, Petr Cvek