August 20, 2001

Dear search400 member,

Get your week started on the right foot with the latest news,
resources and tips from search400 to make your life easier. Take a
look at what we have assembled for you this week:

* This Week's Featured Topic: Linux on the iSeries
* Featured Expert: Tim Granatir
* Live Audio/Visual Event this Wednesday
* Take our quick V5R1 poll and win a search400 jacket!
* More Experts to write search400 Tips!
* New Programmer Tip
* Discussion Forums Highlight
* Want a 42" Plasma screen TV?
* Featured Destination: searchSolaris.com

FEATURED TOPIC: Linux on the iSeries
With V5R1 of OS/400, Linux is available for all but two entry-level
iSeries models. Is it worth implementing? Check out our resources and
decide for yourself.

** News: iSeries wants a dose of the mainframe's Linux success
** News: New technologies bolster enterprise Linux
** News: NSA tightens Linux security, but will iSeries benefit?
** Expert advice: Unix OS on the iSeries
** Tip: Linux clears scalability, security hurdles

Click below to get the complete package:
http://www.search400.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid3_gci754687,00.html

--Featured Expert: Tim Granatir
If you have a question about development, OS/400 or systems
management, Tim can help.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid3,00.html

Tim's Bio:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateExpertBio/0,289623,sid3_cid371927,00.html

LIVE AUDIO/VISUAL EVENT THIS WEDNESDAY!
* Strategies for building a successful e-commerce site
Join us Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 4:00 pm EDT (20:00 GMT) for a live
audio presentation from Andrew Borts, e-commerce project leader at
Seta Corp. You'll get "in the trenches" tested advice to develop an
e-commerce site. Andrew will tell you about the shortcuts to take
(and the pitfalls to avoid) to best use the iSeries on the Web.
http://search400.techtarget.com/onlineEvents/0,289675,sid3,00.html

TAKE OUR QUICK POLL AND WIN A SEARCH400 JACKET!
- What are your plans regarding OS/400 V5R1?
Take 5 seconds out of your day to answer this question and if you're
willing to be contacted by our editor about V5R1, leave your email
address and you'll be entered to win.  (We're giving away 15 jackets)
Go to:
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/showSurvey.asp?id=32188&accessCode=6893384114

MORE EXPERTS TO WRITE SEARCH400 TIPS!
Recognizing it's important for you to receive the best possible
advice to help you with your jobs, we've started using tips written
by our site experts for our Programmer and Administrator Tip
newsletters. Look for tips from Joe Hertvik, John Kohan, Tim Granatir
and Kris Veitch. And as always, our WebSphere Strategies Tips will
contain the expert advice from Jim Mason, IBM's Dave Slater and
IGNITe/400's Bob Cancilla.  If you haven't signed up for our Tip
newsletters yet, edit your profile today to take advantage of this
free email service.  Go to:
http://search400.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid3,00.html

NEW PROGRAMMER TIP!
* Use trigger programs to track record changes
Search400 expert John Kohan shows you how trigger programs can help
you keep an eye on record changes.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci760330,00.html

DISCUSSION FORUMS HIGHLIGHT
* WebSphere servlet problems
In our WebSphere/Web Development discussion forum madsilver says
since they deployed WebSphere Application Server three years ago,
they've had problems varying from server lock ups to new servlet
uploads not "taking" to incorrect data showing up in the application.
Do you have any advice for madsilver? Post it here:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84637/73

* Using your AS400 to backup from the LAN/Unix
Pmcgibney asks: "Does anybody use their AS400 TAP01 to backup SAVF's
from the LAN or Unix via the IFS/NFS? Does anyone know if this is
possible?"
If you have done this, why not share how you did it.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^6@.ee84638/362

WANT A FREE 42" PLASMA SCREEN TV?
Our sister site, searchStorage, is giving TWO of them away at the
free conference they're sponsoring, Storage Decisions 2001 (psst:
they haven't announced this yet but as one of our members, we wanted
to give you a chance to win). The event takes place in Chicago
September 26-28. If you want critical storage solutions apply to
attend the conference for free right here and you might just win a
plasma screen!
http://www.storagedecisions.com/html/registration.htm
NOTE: If you aren't focused on storage please do a colleague a huge
favor and forward this info to your systems' administrator or whoever
tackles your company's current storage initiatives.

FEATURED DESTINATION: searchSolaris.com
Featured Topic: Sun Hardware - Whether you're dealing with Sun
servers, workstations, storage arrays or any other piece of Sun
hardware, searchSolaris can point you to the resources that will help
you do your job better. Here's a sampling!
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci757494,00.html

Plus be sure to check out our Hardware Discussion Forum covering
everything from SPARC boxes to storage arrays:
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee8445b

Please forward this email to colleagues who can also benefit from
this targeted information. And stay tuned for more weekly updates on
the wealth of services available to you as a member of search400!

Search400 is a TechTarget network site. To become a member of any
or all of our search engine sites, just click on the "Edit Your
Profile" link at the top of search400 and update as you like.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.